This is the list of Frequently-Asked Questions about the Extensible Markup Language (XML). It has answers to most of the common questions people ask about XML. If you are seeking answers to questions about related areas such as HTML, SGML, CGI scripts, PHP, JSP, Java, databases, or penguins, you may find some pointers, but you should probably look elsewhere as well.
The FAQ is intended as a first resource for users, authors, developers, and the interested reader. Details of its organisation, contributors, availability, translations, and revisions are in the Admin sections. Updates to the FAQ are notified to the mailing lists and newsgroups listed in question 12 in the ‘Basics’ section, ‘Where can I discuss implementation and development of XML?’.
The full document is available for download in many different formats: see the page ‘Availability’ for a list.
- question 1 in the ‘Basics’ section, ‘What is XML?’
- question 5 in the ‘Users’ section, ‘How do I control formatting and appearance?’
- question 8 in the ‘Authors’ section, ‘What's a Document Type Definition (DTD) and where do I get one?’
- question 6 in the ‘Users’ section, ‘Where can I get an XML browser?’
- question 4 in the ‘Basics’ section, ‘What is SGML?’
- question 22 in the ‘Authors’ section, ‘What are the special characters in XML?’
- question 2 in the ‘Basics’ section, ‘What is a markup language?’
- question 3 in the ‘Basics’ section, ‘What is XML for?’
- question 10 in the ‘Developers’ section, ‘What XML software is available?’
- question 13 in the ‘Authors’ section, ‘I keep hearing about alternatives to DTDs. What's a Schema?’
- question 9 in the ‘Developers’ section, ‘What's a namespace?’
- question 3 in the ‘Appendices’ section, ‘Not the XML FAQ’